Sunday, June 24, 2012

Finding Love when it is unexpected



I'm a sentimental and sappy guy and always will be.  I can't help it, it is just who I am.  Last night I was watching The Vow with my girlfriend after we had moved her out of her apartment in DC. Watching that movie after a day of packing up her entire life into a UHaul van really got the emotions going.  I don't think it really hit me until yesterday that she was really leaving.

It's a weird feeling for me because I have always been completely fine with being alone. I've lived 6 of the last 7 years in a one bedroom apartment, and my idea of a perfect day is being alone on my kayak sipping a beer and listening to Bruce Hornsby. But last night I was getting practically teary eyed thinking of her not being just a quick drive away. Sure, Delaware isn't far, but it's going to be a big change.

The thing about it is, I was never looking for this. Anyone who has known me the last few years knows I might be the last person that would want to be in a relationship. Sure, I've always been sentimental and loved romance, but I was scared to death of it in reality. Then one hot August day I decided to put myself out there and go to a kayak Meet Up event on the Potomac. I almost flaked out because kayaking is more of an individual event for me, but decided to go because I'm addicted to meeting strangers. Seriously, I love talking to new people more than my own friends.

My girlfriend happened to be there so we met on the river which is pretty much the best place ever I could meet a girl. Over the last 9 months we've had an amazing time getting to know each other and falling for each other. We've done everything from kayaking, to concerts and restaurants, to playing tennis, to partying, to watching Game of Thrones and Friday Night Lights. We've been there to support one another through all the ups and downs of life. She's my rock and hope I'm hers as well.

I guess the point of this blog is that you really never know when you are going to meet someone special. It's cliche but finding love really is unexpected. You just have to live your life and be happy. Eventually you'll meet someone to love life and be happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment