Sunday, June 5, 2011

It's hard to start over

A couple years ago I blogged about the "comfort zone." The place we all find ourselves at some point in time.  This blog encompasses the same idea. Starting over is hard. Whether it be in a new job, a new relationship, a new hobby.  It takes a lot of courage to start from scratch. 

I like my job a lot, but even if I didn't it would be hard for me to change careers.  You spend so much time becoming skilled in one thing it seems like you've gone too far along to change.  We're all told that your 20's are the time to change jobs, to take chances. But no one mentions the cost of a cable bill, groceries, drinks, Dunkin Donuts.  It's easier said than done.

It's even hard to start a new hobby. I've still never ice skated, never played golf, never snowboarded. Not necessarily because I'm not interested, but because I don't want to fail. I want to stick with what I know I'm good at.

Relationships are probably the best example of how hard it is to start over. We invest so much time with another person.  So many memories are created. Photos are posted on Facebook. Common friends are made. Families are formed.  Sometimes it seems people stay with each other out of comfort rather than love.

I guess starting over is so hard because we are, at the core, creatures of habit.  Though we all have different priorities, most follow the same general routine. We all brush our teeth , go to work or school, and go to sleep.  But is that such a bad thing? Is it so bad being comfortable? Maybe not. Maybe a so called boring life is a good thing. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment