Thursday, May 23, 2013
The top 11 greatest sentimental jams of all time( It's long so get some popcorn)
This blog has been decades in the making. For anyone who knows me, they know my favorite jams to listen to are sentimental/romance songs. Why? Well, because life is about love, whether it be with a signifigant other, family, friends, a sport, a place, an animal. Love is awesome. This list was the hardest thing I've had to do since I had to choose my top 5 favorite 2pac songs in high school, but I did my best. Comment below if you agree or disagree.
1. Stand By Me-Ben E. King: Who knows if I'll ever settle down or better yet find a girl crazy enough to marry me, but if I do have a wedding this will my "first dance" song or whatever they call it. I've liked this song since I was a kid and it has gotten even better with age.
"If the sky that we look upon should tumble and fall and the moon is the only light you'll see, no I won't be afraid, no I won't shed a tear, just as long, as you Stand By Me." Is that the greatest line in the history of music. Ya, probably. The background music is amazing as well. A great love song embodies what it means to truly be in love and this is a perfect example.
2. Mandolin Rain-Bruce Hornsby: I'm seeing this guy in concert in August and when this song comes on I will probably run on stage and hug him. What a powerful song. You know it's funny, there isn't one meaning for this song. but I feel like it means different things to everyone. In fact, I don't even know what Mandolin Rain is. What I do know is every time the chorus comes on I get chills. "Listen to the Mandolin Rain!"
3. We've Got Tonight-Bob Seger: I love Bob Seger. Most know him for "Old Time Rock N' Roll" or the Chevy commercial song, but this is his best and most powerful ballad. " We've Got Tonight" talks about having one final night with the person you love. It doesn't matter about tomorrow. It is about enjoying that moment with that special person. I tear up a bit every time the chorus comes on because I've thought back and had moments like that in my life. " We've Got Tonight, who needs tomorrow?"
4. Wind Beneath My Wings: Bette Midler: Right now this may be my favorite song period. If the chorus doesn't make you shed a tear you have no soul. This was my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary song. Besides my own parents there is no stronger love I've ever seen. I want to love someone like that someday. Every spouse should be the other person's hero. " Did you ever know that you're my hero, and everything I would like to be, I can fly higher than an eagle, you are the wind beneath my wings". Wow, think about that line for a second and tell me this isn't one of the greatest songs of all time. When she sings the last part I get chills. Incredible.
5. End of Innocence/ Heart of the Matter- Don Henley
I'm trying not to put more than one song for each artist on this, but both of these songs are too good to leave off. Don Henley is just incredible. Next to Phil Collins he's probably my favorite singer of all time as he was also lead singer of my favorite rock band of all time, the Eagles. Yes, I love rating things and I'm not going to apologize for it. End of Innocence is something we can all relate to. It's not necessarily about romance with another person, it's about the romance of life. It's about getting older and reflecting on the days of your youth. If I had to listen to one song for the rest of my life this would probably be it. When is the End of the Innocence though? I guess it depends on the person, but life will never be the same as when you were a kid.
6.. Heart of the Matter is actually a really sad song in theory. It's about dealing with divorce or a breakup. It is about being able to forgive and be happy for those that you're no longer with. "But I think it's about forgivenessm forgiveness, even if, even if you don't love me anymore."
It takes a big person to forgive people that broke your heartm but part of love is heartbreak and this is what this song is about. Unless you married the first person you loved or at least liked a lot we've all felt this. I can honestly say I cherish all the times I spent with all my ex's even though it didn't necessarily work out. There is no point in being bitter or not wanting someone who once made you smile to be happy.
7. I Can't Fight This Feeling-REO Speedwagon: This will always hold a special place in my heart because it's my first girlfriend and I's song. I was an idiot back then in terms of relationships but I did still love sentimental jams. " It's time to bring this ship into the shore and throw away the oars forever." Amazing line. This is another song that's so easy to relate to anyone who has liked someone but isn't sure how to act on it. It's about loving someone so much they are the only one for you. It's about stopping fighting the feeling and acting. It's awesome.
8. This Magic Moment: The Drifters: This was actually my first love song experience. Heard it when I was like 10 for the first time and to this day it's one of my favorites. I think oldies are the best love songs. Things were more innocent back then." Sweeter than wine, softer than the summer night, everything I want I have whenever I hold you tight. " This Magic Moment, when your lips are close to mine, will love forever, forever till the end of time." The music in this is just incredible. I've had one magic moment before but at the end of the day it didn't work out. It'd be awesome to find someone to have a lot of "Magic Moments" with.
9. Always Be My Baby- Mariah Carey: I love me some Mariah. If you ever come to one of my parties you'll see me put this song on multiple times in a row. This is in some ways about a crazy girl that won't let go of someone, but if that crazy girl was Mariah that'd be fine. In all seriousness, it's about two people that we're great together, but like most relationships it just doesn't work and people fade apart. However, in some ways they'll always be in each others lives. Some relationships end for different reasons whether it be timing, circumstance, age, etc. But the love will never end and we will always be a part of our past.
10. When a Man Loves a Woman: Are you still reading? probably not. In the Twitter age a paragraph is too long.This is another song I'll play at my wedding if that ever happens. This is a pretty obvious message. When you love someone you'll do anything for them. Never felt thism but my parents have this type of love I feel like and maybe someday it'll happen for me. If not, at least I have this awesome jam to listen to.
11. Yup, needed to have an 11. Phil Collins would hold about 5 of the 10-20. He's my second favorite music artist behind 2pac, and basically all of his songs relate to certain aspects of my life and all humans lives. My top 2 are probably Find a Way To My Heart and True Colors but there are just so many. Tomorrow is Fridays with Phil, don't forget!
That's my list. Whether you agree or disagree the important thing is to always open up your heart and listen to sentimental jams. Nothing better in this world.