Sunday, June 21, 2009

Phil Collins and Sentimental Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfZqXLnBYb4

Happy Father's Day everyone! Sadly, my dad is in Brazil on business, so I won't be able to spend time with him today. I am so lucky to have him as a father. He has always been there for me. If I can be half the man my father has been to me I will be thankful.

Today's entry will focus on the impact of Phil Collins and other music on my life. Like I said in my last entry, I really only listened to Tupac up until my senior year of high school. I first heard Phil Collins driving back from a party in a friend's car. The remix of "Take Me Home" with Bone Thugs was playing and I was instantly hooked by the amazing power and depth of his music. Nobody can hit notes like Phil can. Similar to Tupac, he has a way of singing that comes right from the heart.

Being the extremely sentimental, and sappy guy that I am, it was amazing that it took me so long to become a Phil Collins fan. Phil's songs helped me through many low points in my life, and always have put a smile on my face. He talks about the gut wrenching pain of breakups. He talks about appreciating what you have, in songs like Another Day in Paradise, and he talks about being totally and completely in love. All of these emotions most of us have felt. That is what great music should be about. It should be a reflection of human emotion.

Through the years I have slowly broadened my musical taste, even though I still hear most songs ten years after they come out. At least I am trying to be more "hip." My other favorite artists include Rod Stewart, Tom Petty, Third Eye Blind, Rascal Flats, Keith Urban and Steve Winwood. Quite the combination there. It's funny, all my life up until a few years ago I always hated on country music. However, I gave it a chance and realized that at least some of it is really good. I guess it is like anything else in life, people form their own opinions on things without giving them a chance. I'm so thankful I finally stepped out of my shell and gave different kinds of music a shot.

I'm a hopeless romantic at heart, so being a Phil Collins fan should really be no surprise to anyone. I guess the point of this blog is don't be afraid to like the music you love. Don't be afraid to go against the grain, to listen to music that might not fit the stereotype. Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and listen to music you thought you never would. Hell, if you had told me 5 years ago that five of my favorite 20 songs would be Indie Rock and country songs I would've laughed in your face. But they are, and I am not afraid to admit it. Here are some of my favorite Phil Collins songs to download.
True Colors
In Too Deep
Invisible Touch
Another Day in Paradise
Don't Lose My Number

Thanks everyone as always for reading. Please let me know what you think!

Next blog: Can people change?

No comments:

Post a Comment