Sunday, July 12, 2009

Appreciate life

With all of life's responsibilities it is easy to forget to appreciate what you have. Furthermore with the economic recession, poverty, and everyday tragedies that occupy much of the news it is easy to think about what is wrong in the world. We complain about too much traffic, fighting with our significant others, frustration at work, problems with family. It makes me wonder how much time people actually take to appreciate what they have. It bugs me when well off people complain about their lives. The fact is most people have it worse and have actual issues to complain about.

Look, I'll be the first one to say I've lucked out in life. Things always seem to turn out well for me. I've been blessed with parents that love me unconditionally and have been able to provide me with everything needed to succeed. I have a steady job that although is not always entertaining, provides me job security. It is ridiculous to me that I have a job and thousands of others who are much more qualified and experienced than me with mortgages and families to feed don't. I have been lucky to always have great health(knock on wood). In fact, I don't think I've actually been sick since elementary school and have never been injured any worse than a sprained thumb.

All of the luck I've experienced in my life has allowed me the freedom to do what I want. A lot of people have to travel long distances or pay an exorbitant amount of money to find the place or thing that makes them happiest. For me the place that has always made me happiest(the Potomac River) is just a 10 minute walk away. I'm a guy with simple tastes. Yesterday when I wrote this I was floating down the Potomac, the sun shining, with a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon(classy I know) and a slight breeze on my back. For me that is living the dream.

A lot of people think that for life to be good you have to make millions and date hot women. While that certainly doesn't hurt, I wonder if they are as happy as I am on a daily basis. Okay, maybe Tom Brady is, but I think I enjoy life as much as anyone simply because I appreciate the simplicites of it. Think about the people in this country that work 7 days a week just to feed their families. They can't just decide in the middle of the day to crack open a Sam Adams and go to the river. They are literally working for their livelihood. We take the freedom and luxuries we are given for granted because for some that is all they know.

Appreciate what you have, but don't feel bad about having it. Quality of life is largely based on circumstances. While you should recognize what you have, don't feel bad about having it. Take what you have and run with it. Yesterday for example, I was writing and reading on the river, then played basketball and finished up the day with some beer pong at a friends house. Doesn't sound too spectacular to the average person, but for me that is as good as it gets.

Thanks for reading everyone. I wrote my Michael Jackson blog today and will be posting it mid week. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment