Sunday, September 6, 2009

Weddings

Last night I went to my friend Brian Crane's wedding at a beautiful wine vineyard in Leesburg. It was a surreal experience and an amazing time. If you've read some of my past blogs you probably can tell I have skepticism about marriage and commitment in general. But as I watched the emotion of both the bride and groom I realized how powerful marriage is. Think about it, you are committing yourself for eternity to another person. That is some really deep stuff and not to be taken lightly.


Wedding are such happy events. In fact, besides Obama's inauguration, I've never been to a place where there is such universal happiness everywhere. Weddings are crazy in that you have total strangers with all different political,religious, and cultural backgrounds coming together to celebrate. In any other setting these people would probably never hang out but for at least that night they are all dancing up a storm. Hell, even I dance at weddings and for those unfortunate souls that have seen my dance moves, you know that isn't a pretty sight. Everyone is drinking beer, dancing to sappy love songs, just generally catching that wedding fever. Special shout out to Pat Dean who made a great speech about Brian. That guy has a career in stand up ahead of him.



I've got awhile to go before I walk down the aisle but I sure hope at some point in my life I will be able to be that sure of something. You could tell that both of them were completely in love and that is something that all of us should be lucky enough to feel at some point in our lives. Happy Labor Day everyone. Blog about college is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment