Sunday, August 30, 2009

Best Friends




A couple weeks ago I saw the movie I Love You Man, and it got me thinking about the importance of having a best friend. Having a best friend or a couple close friends is one of the most important relationships a person can have. Relationships come and go, but that best friend or group of close friends is always there. I've always believed in quality over quantity in all aspects of life. Friendships is no exception. In my opinion, it's better to have 2 or 3 great friends than 10 acquaintances. Being best friends means you can be yourself with that person and have no filter. You feel comfortable saying anything or nothing at all.

For me, my best friend is Jim Gallant. I've only known him since college, but he is the only person, besides my Dad, that I could hang out with everyday and not get tired of. In fact, that is essentially what we did for the better part of my junior and senior years in college. Jim and I are extremely alike in that we are have simple tastes. We both are laid back, like drinking beer, and love Boston sports. We appreciate the little things, and are just as happy drinking a few cold ones at home, as we are raging at a party. Hell, he's the only guy I know that is lower maintenance than me.

In college we were the duo, almost inseparable from junior year on. He helped me through one of the hardest times of my life in the Summer of 06. He is a great listener, which I think is probably the most important quality in a friendship. Whether it be throwing the football around, ordering Wings for the Patriots games, or jamming out to the song "Roxanne" in the apartment before a night out at Charlie's, it was always a good time. We bring out the best in each other, which is essentially what friendship is all about. Jim's the best friend a guy could have, and he will always be my wing man for life.

I've been lucky enough to meet some great people in my life. I've always had high standards for friends because I just don't see the point in wasting time on people that frankly aren't chill. Here are a few notes about some of my other closest friends. If I've left you out I'm sorry.

Hayley Shelton: This girls knows everything about me, the good and the bad and still talks to me,haha. She is one of the only people that will call me out when I'm being an idiot. She challenges me to be a better person and sincerely cares about me more than anyone else besides my parents. She has made the biggest impact on my life besides my father.

Binns and Chambers: My lifelong childhood friends. I've known Binns since I was 2 years old. We went to preschool together, grew up playing sports, and I still talk to him even though he's a diehard Duke and Cowboys fan(unbelievable). I grew up with Chambers as well and he is to this day the most loyal person I know. This kid would take a bullet for me. He's saved my ass on multiple occasions. One of the most genuinely good people I've ever known.

Pogo: Along with Jim and Hayley no one knows more about me. Some of the best conversations I've had with anyone have been on the canoe trips on the Potomac with Pogo.

Caren Plummer: One of the best female friends I've ever had. Unfortunately I don't get to see her enough with her living in Arizona but we still talk and vent to each other about everything. Hoping she moves back here sometime soon.

Boston Crew: From top to bottom the most solid group of friends I've ever been around. Jim, Billy D, Mark, Doug, Tom, and Smilin Mike. Unfortunately we only met senior year in college, so we haven't had enough time to chill. Some of my best times have been with this crew. Special shout out to Billy D whose optimism and positive attitude is something we all should really learn from. That guy deserves the best in life and I know good things will happen for him.

These are some of the people that have shaped my life. A lot of times, people(especially guys) don't stop and appreciate friendships. It is truly one of the most under appreciated relationships in life. Everyone always talks about marriage, family, kids and those are all obviously important. But having close friends should be right there in the mix. A best friend will be there when your down to listen to the bullshit, and be by you to party it up during the good times. I'm so thankful to have met so many great people in my life and I look forward to all the new people I will meet in the future.

Thanks for reading everyone. If you enjoy the blog sign up to become a follower by simply clicking on Follow toward the middle of the page on the right. As always comments both negative and positive are appreciated. Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment