Monday, May 11, 2009

Settling in Relationships(Part 1)

I decided to split this entry into two parts for two reasons:
1. Hopefully people won't get too bored
2. I have no time this week to write another entry.

It's weird, I can write a sports blog in about fifteen minutes, but these take me at least 30-45 minutes every time. Anyway here is Part 1. Hope you enjoy.

Tonight's entry focuses on relationships. More specifically, the reasons many men and women "settle."Most of us have been in at least one series relationship in our lifetime. Not everyone has settled, but many probably have. I don't think I've ever settled, but then again I don't have a girlfriend right now, so this does not really apply to me. I feel like everyone I meet that is 23 or older, especially women, are in a relationship. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, because a good relationship can be one of the most rewarding and fulfilling experiences a person can have. However, I feel that a lot of people settle for average in their relationships for a multitude of reasons.

The first and most obvious is companionship. Human beings naturally want to feel loved and have some feeling of importance to someone else. This can lead to a dependence on another person, which can subsequently lead someone to settle. Now, it's fine if someone settles in a relationship but eventually breaks it off before marriage. However, as the 50% and rising divorce rate suggests, this isn't the case. I don't buy the fact that people just grow apart, that one day they just don't love each other anymore. Sure, maybe you get tired of the other person, but the love should still be there. The fact is no one should get married until they are sure that it is to the right person. I know people change, but for the most part the core of that person stays the same. A lot of times it seems like people stay in relationships because they think the other person will eventually change. What is the rush in getting married anyway? If you love someone and want to be with someone it should be worth the wait.

The second and probably the most common reason people settle is comfort. Again, it's normal to get in a routine, to get so used to a person being there that you use the comfort factor as something hide the fact that you aren't happy anymore. It seems like for a lot of people being comfortable might be more important than being happy. I know I've felt this feeling not just in relationships but everything in life. It is easier said than done to step out and take a chance, especially when it means potentially losing someone you love.

To be continued.......

No comments:

Post a Comment