Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Losing touch with friends

I haven't written in awhile. I don't have any legitimate excuse other than I'm busy at work, but that isn't anything different. Anyway, the last week or so I've been looking back at previous journal entries. In particular, my 88 page life story in which I chronicle every memory from when I was a little kid up until I started my journal at age 21. It truly is amazing how much life changes and how the people in your life change.

The only people I still keep in touch with from my childhood are Mike Binns and Brett Chambers, but I don't even see them very often anymore. There are of course obvious reasons for why friendships fade. People move away, develop new interests, get significant others and meet new friends. However, I really think that a lot of times it doesn't even happen for any particular reason. The friendship just fades over time until your left wishing a person a happy birthday on their Facebook wall.

Thankfully, I've been lucky enough to still keep in touch with my good friends in high school and college. However, I worry someday I may drift apart from them as well. Maybe that isn't so bad though. Sometimes it can be good to stray away from old friends because it gives you a chance to meet new people. I know that I've met some of my best friends in the last three or four years. These are friends that I am confident I will always be close with. That's the thing, the friends that really matter, that really have staying power, will always be there. I'm a pretty open person in terms of expressing my feelings, but I only feel comfortable having deep conversations with a few people and they know who they are. Nothing compares to good friendships in this world. I've always believed it's better to have three or four, or even one best friend, than ten friends. That is why I have never believed in just hanging out with one group. I've always hung out with a couple people from all different groups because I just feel like it is more interesting to hang out with different people who bring different things to the table. The fact is every group is made up of three or four subgroups anyway. I've never met a group of 5 or more where every person is equally close to each other, just doesn't happen.

I have a lot more to say on this subject but I'm sure I will incorporate it into other entries. There is nothing more important than having great friends who will be there for you through thick and thin, so if you have that appreciate it.

I hope everyone enjoyed the great weather of the last couple weeks. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment