Sunday, July 24, 2011

What I've learned from writing a journal


Yesterday was the 5 year anniversary of my daily journal chronicling events of my life. I began writing the journal in the summer of 2006 after a breakup with my first serious girlfriend. It was a cathartic experience, helping me get my thoughts out in a way that made sense. After that I was hooked. I only wish I had started sooner. I start out every entry with a thought of the day. Sometimes it involves work, sometimes a funny thing that happened, sometimes a girl.   There's always a topic and then I go from there.

It has been the best decision I've ever made. I read the ones from years ago and am amazed how much life has changed. The stuff I used to worry about in college seems ridiculous now. It's also incredible how much life in general is different. When I was with someone, almost every entry was about the ups and downs that is a serious relationship. Now most of my entries revolve work, partying, and the river.

If I've learned anything from this journal it's that no matter how bad of a day you have it will always get better. Just because you are going through a hard time at the moment, doesn't mean things will never be good again.  There will always be better days. 

I recommend everyone write a journal. It doesn't have to be every day, but a couple times a week. 20 years from now when you are married with 3 kids and your memory isn't what it used to be, you can pick up the journal and it will all come back. In the end memories are all we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment